The BYU Jazz Ensemble Swings Into Spring with March 20 Concert

The group will take on ambitious swing tunes from jazz staples

The BYU Jazz Ensemble will brighten up the semester with a lively performance, titled “Swingin’ Into Spring.”

“The BYU Jazz Ensemble is ready to help you shed those winter blues with our celebration of the spring equinox on March 20th, the official first day of spring,” said director Mark Ammons. “The concert will feature songs about spring, finding new love, getting over old romances and looking forward to those carefree days ahead of fun in the sun.”

The concert will showcase a variety of high-energy jazz tunes — including music by the Temptations, Train and Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band alongside more traditional folk pieces — and will feature surprise guests from the School of Music.

For lead trumpet player Ian Pratt, the group’s mastery of their ambitious music selection is an achievement in its own right.

“We have a couple charts that I’m surprised that we’re playing,” he said. “I’ve known them for several years and I didn’t think I would ever be playing them because they’re very professional songs, and I knew how difficult they are. We’ve put a lot of work into it, and we’ve come a long way; I didn’t have my expectations as high as I should have.”

Pratt hopes that the concert will be a fulfilling experience for seasoned jazz fans while also providing a relaxed introduction to audience members who are new to the genre.

“For people who aren’t as exposed to jazz, the improvisation can be mind-blowing,” said Pratt. “It just comes from time and a lot of listening to jazz. We’ve played together for a semester or two, which brings you closer together and establishes that connection between everybody.

Tickets and Show Details

Performance Dates and Times: Mar. 20 | 7:30 p.m.

Location: de Jong Concert Hall, Franklin S. Harris Fine Arts Center, BYU

Price: $7, or $4 with code JAZZMIX

Tickets: Available in person at the BYU HFAC or Marriott Center Ticket Office, by phone at (801) 422-2981 or online at byuarts.com

SHARE THIS
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail